We are at the end of January – and a lot of New Year’s resolutions have slipped. But here’s the secret … Every single day you can choose how you show up and every single day you can renew your commitments to your future self.
Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Here are 5 tips that will help you get back on track and turn your dream of becoming a skilled artist into a reality.
- Watch tutorials once a week: Make it a habit to dedicate at least an hour each week to watching drawing tutorials. Whether it’s on YouTube or a paid course, the key is to consistently expose yourself to new techniques and styles.
- Carry a sketchbook around: Always have a sketchbook and pencil with you so that you can draw whenever inspiration strikes. It could be a quick sketch of your coffee cup or a more detailed drawing of a scene you pass by. The more you practice, the better you’ll get!
- Google famous drawings and try to copy them: Challenge yourself by copying the works of famous artists. This will not only help you improve your skills but also give you a better understanding of different styles and techniques.
- Blind contour drawings: Blind contour drawings are a fun and unique way to improve your hand-eye coordination and break out of your comfort zone. Simply draw an object without looking at your paper and see what you come up with.
- Quick sketches: Take a few minutes each day to do quick sketches. This could be a still life set up at home or a quick sketch of a stranger on the bus. The goal is to get in the habit of drawing regularly and not getting discouraged by the end result.
Remember, learning to draw is a journey and not a destination. Be patient with yourself, have fun and most importantly, don’t give up!